Documentation: Model 1 Submission


Model idea
ArtScience Museum (Shape and structure of the building) by Moshe Safdie

Technique(s) to use
3D printing

Processing
The ArtScience Museum in Singapore is the precedent of my first model in Project Matrix. The structure and shape of the building which simulates the shape of the lotus flower is related to the nature. The rainwater can collect though the hole on the roof form different petal-like roof that creates a water fall view. Its structure and shape are the targets I want to create for my model. I choose to use the 3D printing technique for the model because of the difficulty of the roof shape.

For the Processing

1.      Design through SketchUp


I design the model into three part which include the roof shape, interior and exterior frame structure.


2.      Print through the FlashPrint


After the design, I export my model to STL file and start to print it through the FlashPrint. For my first design, there are some mistakes of my model before printing. The first one is a part of the roof that is not defined as a solid surface (Figure below) with the support material reflected. 



Another one is the interior structure cannot show the exact situation of the model design that the structure is enclosed.


Then, I fix my model and make the second model. This time I clear the detail of each petal like roof shape carefully.

Also, I try another way to make the interior structure (The left one in the figure below).


The second model design finish.



The model is without any problem after checking this time and then start print.




After four hours, the model is finished by the 3D printing machine and then I try to remove all the supports with the tools.





Proposed Size: 6 cm (height) x 6.5 cm (wide) x 6.5 cm (depth)
Material: The white plastic (3D printing)
Technique:  3D printing

Time Commitment:
Design/ drawing time: ~15 hours
3D Printing: 4 hours
Finishing (removing supporting): ~2 hours

Total: ~21 hours

Cost/Budget:
3D Printing booking: $2
3D Printing material cost: $7.68

Total: $9.68

Comments

Popular Posts