Documentation: Model 3 Submission







Model idea
Residential Building Zug Schleife (Façade-balcony part and structure of the building) by Valerio Olgiati

Technique(s) to use
Laser cutting

Processing
To making my final model, the relationship between the building and sunlight is the concept I want to represent by my model. Residential Building Zug Schleife is a good apartment with a interesting façade and structure which the geometry (elliptical shape) on the facade can create an attractive image by the building and lighting.

For the Processing

1.      Design the model by SketchUp



First, I design a simple plan which is only with the elliptical opening and columns on the plan. I also do the whole model with the columns and several floors.




After that, I simulate the view of shadow and choose the similar color for the model according to the actual building.




2.      Setting the cutting plan with Autocad



To prepare the model element for laser cutting, I draw the plans with Autocad.

3.      Laser cutting
For the laser cutting, I select 3mm MDF as the floor material of the model.


4.      Gluing the components
The balsa wood as the model columns and the MDF as the model structure are the materials of my model. After the preparation, I stick all the things together and take some photo to reflect the relationship between model and sunlight.


 









    




Proposed Size: 10.5 cm (height) x 33cm (wide) x 8 cm (depth)
Material: MDF (3mm, 800mm x 400mm), Balsa wood
Technique: Laser cutting

Time Commitment:
Design/ drawing time: 6 hours
Material testing: 4-5 hours
Laser Cutting: 0.5 hour
Cutting: 0.5 hour
Gluing: 1 hours

Total: ~38 hour

Cost/Budget:
MDF: $7
Laser cutting booking: $5

Total: $12





Comments

Popular Posts